11.26.2007

Tradition in time

I've been thinking a lot about family since our big Thanksgiving extravaganza. My thoughts have been bouncing back and forth between the sentimental awe and the realistic disconnect that I have with my extended family.

I'm a little younger than one group of my cousins and significantly older than the majority. The age difference sets me apart enough that when I'm not instigating them to do lip-dub's, I'm observing them, and I'm inspired by the remarkable way that they along and interact.

There were giggles over nothing, sharing of ipods and even heated political debates. But the most interesting thing I overhead were the murmurs about continuing the tradition of getting all our families together, "When we grow up."

It's heartwarming to hear such a sentiment. It speaks wonders for the example that my mom and her siblings have set for us. I'm hopeful for the future of tradition, but not naive to the realistic nature of time.

In time the cousins will move away, get married and have children. In time, the age difference between us will feel less. And only time will tell if we'll follow in the tradition of our cackling aunts and sleeping uncles.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again I'm wishing that my family was larger. Our usual get togethers total between 6-10 people

Anonymous said...

You've put a different lens on the day. It seemed so much louder to me! A great snapshot of all stages of life and how no matter what age, a person can participate and become a part of a larger whole. Thanks for the tribute to M & D Em. Aunt A

Anonymous said...

Amazing how relaxing the day looks! Reminds me why I love my family yet at times feel so apart from it. Reminds me of how we used to all pile in a room and just do crazy things because we could. "On top of old smokey" anyone? A